Dallas is taking a positive step forward in keeping more public establishments smoke-free. I understand that lots of folks (read: smokers) are grumbling about not being able to exercise their freedom of...whatever, but I really have no sympathy for them.
From the DMN:
Smoking in Dallas may get harder if the city council has its way.
Members are considering a more widespread ban that would prevent smokers from lighting up in most public places.
Dallas already has laws in place prohibiting smoking in restaurants.
Although it's been discussed for years, it wasn't until recently, that council members say they have support to expand that ordinance to places that have been protected.
Currently, Dallas restricts smoking in public buildings, restaurants, bingo halls, and most work places.
But by August, three council members, including the mayor, say they hope to have language in place to expand the ban to include places that are currently exempt.
Those places include bars, taverns, pool halls and tobacco shops.
Right now, this is all discussion, as an amended ordinance has yet to be drawn up.
But a majority of council members appear to believe it's time to move forward.
If and when the City decides to expand it, the ban would bring Dallas in line with cities like Houston and Austin which have outlawed smoking in most public spots.
A spokesperson for the Greater Dallas Restaurant Association says a more extensive ban could really hurt businesses in the city.
Not because it takes away smoking but rather because the ban differs city to city and smokers would likely take their business to neighboring city that allows it.
Yeah, I really don't buy this argument. People aren't going to drive to another city every Friday and Saturday night just so they can light up while they drink. I, however, have chosen not to go to a particular bar because it's too smokey for my tastes. I doubt those places have suffered from my lack of patronage (but hey, you gotta take a stand sometimes!), and I seriously doubt enough people will decide to stay home and drink just so they can smoke while doing so.
It will be nice to come home from a bar and not have to shower immediately before going to bed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment