Wednesday, June 4, 2008

A few introductions

My husband has requested that I clarify what I wrote in My Profile. I guess he's not into fivesomes.

So, the three men I share my bed with are: my husband (when's he nice), our black lab Angus, and our precocious cat Sam. The fat little girl is Sam's sister Abby. The layout of our bed is something like this: husband on left side, Angus at foot of bed in the middle, Sam just above Angus but still in between husband and me, and Abby on the outside of either husband or me (she jumps up on our headboard to cross over, lest she inadvertently touch Angus, in which case she's pretty sure the world will come to a sudden end), and finally, me.

This makes for a very crowded, very hot bed (75-lb labs are freaking furnaces), but I wouldn't have it any other way. Though it does require turning the AC down to about 66 degrees at night in order not to wake up as a puddle of Katie.

The aforementioned husband is the greatest guy I know. He's obsessively neat, is addicted to books, and can back his car into a parking spot better than anyone I know. He puts up with me, and I with him, and really, what else is marriage but the mutual putting up with one another? That, and I happen to adore him.

Angus is just about the greatest dog ever. Scratch that, he is the greatest dog ever. I've yet to meet a sweeter, more mellow lab, except of course when there's a ball! involved, or swimming! is an option, during which times he is still very sweet but not nearly so mellow.

Sam and Abby belonged to the husband initially, then they came to live with me, then once hubby and I started dating, they got both of us. Sam is the ultimate rapscallion, always under foot or trying to escape out the front door. Despite not having his front claws, he's pretty sure he can take any creature that comes his way, from the neighborhood tom cat who taunts him from the garden to the friendly mouse who hangs out outside our breakfast room window. He waits outside the shower door to lick up the water when we're done. He comes when he's called and we're pretty sure he thinks he's a dog.

Abby is scared of her own shadow in addition to the dog. However, we think she secretly loves Angus, as she likes to sniff him when she's sure he's completely asleep. She steals the dishtowels from the kitchen, the washcloths from the bathroom, and my underwear from the drying rack. She talks a lot and very loudly, and when she runs her belly waddles. Fat cats are the greatest.

Our household is often chaotic, but full of love, the carcases of de-stuffed dog toys, and the occasional hairball. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Wait 'til we have kids...

No comments: