Real Simple's Life and Soul blog has a post about the importance of sounding happy, as in, when you pick up the phone and say hello, try to sound as if you really want to talk to the person.
Although we feel like our actions reflect our feelings, in fact, our feelings are often shaped by our actions. By pushing myself to behave in a happy and friendly way, I’m more likely to feel happy and friendly.
Also, as described by the psychological phenomenon of emotional contagion, emotions are highly catching. Studies show that we unconsciously imitate emotions we see others convey, and so people spread their moods to others—whether good moods or bad moods. (Unfortunately, negative emotions are more contagious than positive emotions.)
So answering the phone with an “I’m happy to talk to you!” voice instead of a “You’re interrupting me!” voice gives other people a boost.
It makes a whole lot of sense, and it's definitely something I try to do. We've all been on the other end of an irritated Hello, or a bored Hello, or a why the hell are you calling me I've got more important things to do Hello.
Oh, and a note to that last person: one of the great things about phones - especially ones with caller ID - is that, guess what? You don't have to answer! If you're too busy to talk, then don't. You'll be irritated at the caller for wasting your time, when it's not their fault that they don't know How Important You Are. And if you're in the movie theatre - for love's sake, just let it go to voicemail.
Oh, and a note to that last person: one of the great things about phones - especially ones with caller ID - is that, guess what? You don't have to answer! If you're too busy to talk, then don't. You'll be irritated at the caller for wasting your time, when it's not their fault that they don't know How Important You Are. And if you're in the movie theatre - for love's sake, just let it go to voicemail.
So, the next time I call you, you'd better be happy to hear from me. I'll know you aren't reading my blog if you're not...
1 comment:
The reason I might not pick up the phone if you call is not because I'm in a bad mood and don't want to talk to you (though the latter may be true); it's because I'm too busy reading the captivating entries on your blog! :)
Post a Comment