The Family Place - a Dallas domestic violence shelter - has unveiled a new ad campaign that's meant to shock - and succeeds.
On ad shows a picture of a smiling little girl and reads: "One day my husband will kill me."
Another shows a little boy, also smiling, saying: "When I grow up, I will beat my wife."
The point of the campaign is to show the effects of family violence on its littlest victims - the kids. Children who grow up in abusive households are likely to repeat the behavior - either by abusing their own spouse, or becoming involved in an abusive relationship.
Executive Director Paige Flink's view is that "Children are greatly affected by family violence, even though people think it's a man and a woman fighting...Victims get blamed a lot. If you put an adult battered woman [on an ad], some people would blame her. But children are still seen as innocent."
The ads are provocative and some people are offended. Well, isn't that the point? Domestic violence should be offensive. While we are all disgusted by the idea of family violence, I think we have become immune to the traditional horrible images. I think these ads are very well done, and I hope they succeed in making some people think again about this issue. According to SMU professor Dan Howard, the ads are likely to appeal to a woman's concern for her children. "There are some women who will do more to protect their children than they will to protect themselves," he said.
On that note, Partners Card shopping begins tomorrow and runs through November 2 - 20% discounts at hundreds of retailers and restaurants all over the metroplex. Cards cost $60, and proceeds directly benefit the Family Place. Cards are available all over town, so go buy yours to support this great cause.
Here's the article from the DMN.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment