Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Random Wednesday musings

So I have two bright pink post-its on my computer reminding me of my most important New Year's resolution: to consume less. Turns out it's hard work! Though I do have all this free time now that I'm not buying stuff online. It's quite liberating, actually, but I admit it's a struggle.*

Anyway, I've come across this fun website, called Daily Routines, that catalogs the, well, daily routines of famous people, like Charles Darwin, Jasper Johns, and Emily Dickinson, to name a few. I particularly like Flaubert's careful routine:

Days were as unvaried as the notes of the cuckoo. Flaubert, a man of nocturnal habits, usually awoke at 10 a.m. and announced the event with his bell cord. Only then did people dare speak above a whisper. His valet, Narcisse, straightaway brought him water, filled his pipe, drew the curtains, and delivered the morning mail....At 11 a.m. he entered the dining room, where Mme Flaubert; Liline; her English governess, Isabel Hutton; and very often Uncle Parain would have gathered. Unable to work well on a full stomach, he ate lightly, or what passed for such in the Flaubert household, meaning that his first meal consisted of eggs, vegetables, cheese or fruit, and a cup of cold chocolate. The family then lounged on the terrace, unless foul weather kept them indoors, or climbed a steep path through woods...

My morning routine looks something like this:

Wake to the alarm clock at 7:15. Pretend not to hear it so husband has to get up and turn it off. Sleep until 8. Walk and feed the dog, or pretend to sleep so husband has to do it. Say to myself: "I have to get up, I'm going to be late for work." Repeat until I get up, eventually. Shower, dress, and generally waste time, despite needing to leave the house 5 minutes ago. Arrive at work, late, as usual.

Well, perhaps if I become a famous French novelist someday, I can wake at ten each morning and have my own valet bring me some chocolate. Ah, to dream.

*In the spirit of full disclosure, I did just buy a book. Oh, sue me.



No comments: